Travis Park United Methodist Church
February 4, 2018
Position: DIRECTOR OF YOUTH MINISTRIES
Supervisor: Rev. Eric Vogt
Status: Half-time or more: negotiable
Travis Park United Methodist Church (travispark.org), a historic congregation sharing God’s unconditional love and justice in action in the heart of downtown San Antonio, is seeking a Director of Youth Ministries. The successful candidate will bring energy and passion to building relationships with youth and their parents, and will organize and implement programming that helps youth (6th-12th grades) to grow as followers of Jesus Christ. Their organizational skills, vision, and initiative will help diverse youth, families, and volunteers connect with God and each other, and will equip them to join in TPUMC’s intergenerational and inclusive ministry, mission, outreach and hospitality. The candidate will have a vital role alongside a committed team of clergy, staff, and lay leaders.
Candidates should bring both college experience (preferably in religion, ministry, or education) and at least two years of work experience with youth, and have a personal faith commitment and witness consistent with TPUMC’s theology and practice in the Methodist tradition.
This position is currently half-time, requiring presence on Sunday mornings and evenings and some overnight trips for learning and service. With the right candidate, TPUMC would consider adding responsibilities in another area of the church’s ministry to create a full-time position. To apply, please submit resume, cover letter, and application form linked below to Rev. Eric Vogt at email@example.com.
The youth director will be responsible to:
- Build and maintain relationships with youth and their parents, initiating consistent and clear communication with youth, parents, volunteers, and the church as a whole
- Nurture a culture of grace, belonging, hospitality, growth, and generous service, alongside TPUMC as a whole
- Provide and facilitate opportunities for spiritual formation for youth - on Sunday mornings, Sunday evenings, and beyond
- Recruit and equip youth sponsors who exhibit a team approach to ministry and model healthy relationships with youth
- Organize and lead summer youth mission trips and other overnight outings and retreats throughout the year, and assist with youth music summer trip
- Plan and supervise fun, healthy, and inclusive social activities for youth and their friends
- Lead the church’s fundraising and communication efforts that support youth activities, and manage the youth budget in an open way that aligns with TPUMC leadership and vision
Ensure that the Rio Texas Conference Safe Gatherings Policy (riotexas.org/safe) is understood by volunteers and followed in all ministry settings